In the past days I finally completed the scenario runs concerning the CCS exercise that I have been carrying out in these weeks.
Eventually I generated a set of 28 scenarios: as anticipated in one of the previous posts, there is a main matrix of climate targets (3.5°C, 3°C, 2.5°C, 2°C, and 1.5°C – all values refer to the temperature increase in 2100 with respect to the pre-industrial levels) coupled with different years when investing in CCS is triggered (2020, 2040, 2060, and 2080, in addition to the no CCS case). These 25 scenarios are complemented with a baseline scenario, where no carbon policy is applied (which leads to no CCS deployment and to a temperature increase of 4°C), and with two additional scenarios where the 2°C/2020 scenario (i.e. the main reference policy scenario) is explored considering a 50% increase or decrease in the investment cost of CCS technologies, respectively, in order to understand the relevant sensitivity.
I have already produced a set of interesting graphs. In this sense, some efforts were requried to update the R script which I used for this activity (I adapted it from the solar exercise): I am not super expert with this tool, and sometimes I have to ask help to more trained colleagues, but results are always of great aesthetic quality. Plus, once you have written the script, it is much faster to update or duplicate graphs for other variables, so the effort is really worth it.
In the next week I will draft the relevant paper and then I will move to the third activity of WP2, i.e. nuclear. I will likely finalize the paper after the end of the MERCURY project, but it will be very important to draft a first complete version, that will feed into Deliverable 2.1.