The improvement of the modeling of system integration, storage, and grid in the WITCH model has been the main topic of the first year of the MERCURY project. The part regarding the system integration was developed in the first half of the year and was discussed in the seminar that I gave at FEEM in June. Storage and grid, instead, were developed in the second half of the year and were described in the final talk that I held at UC Berkeley in November and then at FEEM once come back in January. I also remind that for the second part of the work I could count on the collaboration of Marco and Simone, who developed the dissertation of their MSc in Energy Engineering precisely on these themes.
According to my project outline, this modeling work must now be described in a final report, which will represent the first deliverable of the project (D1.1), titled “Power sector modeling improvements in the WITCH model”. This deliverable is due on March 17, so in the next weeks this will be my main activity.
Obviously the development of the deliverable will be extremely useful since it will allow me to “automatically” derive a paper focused on these topics. Indeed, I already have some ideas in my mind to widen the scope of the paper a bit beyond what we have done until now, so some new runs will likely be needed. I will give more information about this in future posts.
In this sense, I will be able to count again on the great help of Simone. In fact, whereas Marco has started working in a private company, Simone has decided to remain at FEEM for a few more months to continue his work on renewables. In the past month, while I was completing the activity on the solar PV learning, he made an “invisible” but fundamental work. For my MERCURY project and the guys’ thesis, in fact, we decided to generate an independent branch of the WITCH model, in order to be more flexible in our work without affecting its main version. After the conclusion of our work, all our new modules and other improvements were deemed to be included in the official version of the model. Since in the meantime some other modules have been developed by other colleagues, this integration would not be trivial and would require a lot of attention: that is what Simone took care of.
Now this integration activity has finished, so in the very next days we will be able to start with the deliverable, the paper, and the complementary runs with the new official and updated version of the WITCH model.